Software Engineer Team Lead
Cape Town, South Africa
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2023
We’re a fast-growing tech startup and we’re on a mission to build infrastructure that powers the future of insurance.
We're looking for a Senior Back-End Software Engineer with Team Lead experience to join our Engineering team. In this role as a Team Lead, you would manage both your personal contribution and that of your team. You would be leading one of Root’s engineering pods, and your responsibility is to ensure that your team is doing their best work at Root everyday in a consistent and predictable manner, to ensure that your team builds reliable and effective software that solves real problems. You have autonomy to take ownership within the engineering team for architecting and building high quality code and features.
This role will allow you the opportunity to work with the team of talent, high-output, Engineers to identify and solve interesting and challenging problems to scale the Root platform. You'll be managing core product architecture, driving delivery against the roadmap, and helping other engineering team members grow their skills.
This full-time role is based at our De Waterkant office in Cape Town, but is remote friendly. Getting familiar with our guide: Being a Team Lead at Root is one of the first ways to set yourself up for success.
What you'll do
Build with Code excellence and high velocity:
- You'll drive rapid prototyping and implement new concepts and features.
- You'll ensure consistent high code quality, maintainability, thorough testing, and continuous improvement of engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
Efficient Delivery and Strategic Leadership:
- Offer accurate delivery estimations and high shipping cadence (at least weekly).
- Transition from a Specialised "Doer" to a Generalist "Orchestrator" while leading strategic collaboration and direction.
- Ensure high robustness, reliability, and security for enterprise-scale customers.
- Swiftly identify, communicate, and resolve platform issues, bugs, and business logic concerns.
Continuous Learning and Growth:
- Mentor and upskill team members while fostering collaborative learning.
- Drive innovation through an effective hiring process and a culture of experimentation and collaboration.
We're looking for someone with
Core requirements to perform responsibilities:
- 8+ years experience working in the software engineering industry (primary focus on building and maintaining full-stack applications)
- At least 2 years experience mentoring and managing a team of engineers.
- Passionate about encouraging growth, learning, and mentoring others and contributing to a positive work culture.
- Ability to collaborate well with both technical and non-technical teams.
- Able to manage time, output and energy well, both personally and within a team.
- Excellent at planning, prioritising and breaking down tasks.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent working experience.
- High proficiency in back-end web technologies such as Node.js/Express, Spring, Laravel, Django, ASP.NET etc.
- High competency working with relational database technologies and SQL.
- Proven experience designing, building, testing, and deploying secure and scalable applications.
- Excellent ability to identify, define, solve process and technical problems.
- Experience with writing unit and integration tests (Jest, JUnit, NUnit etc.).
- Able to rapidly prototype and test a solution to a problem.
- Has a continuous improvement mindset, is curious and is driven to succeed.
- Comfortable working under pressure in a small team.
Bonus points/nice to have:
- An interest in the insurance industry.
- Experience working in a Tech start-up.
Who we are
Our mission is to enable innovation in insurance by building the infrastructure required to reach the future of insurance. We are striving to be the global API standard for insurance.
We show up for our mission by:
- Taking ownership to the extreme.
- Moving fast and shipping things.
- Starting with Why.
- Assuming good intent.
- Keeping things transparent - we are open with others and ourselves.
- Keeping it simple.
- Learning fast and deep.
- Not reinventing the wheel.
We pride ourselves on:
- Having low ego - we are humble, self aware & respectful.
- Being empathetic and showing compassion.
- Staying adaptable - we are innately curious and constantly learning and changing.
- Being remarkable - we are resourceful and effective.
How we enable success
Our team is made up of smart, passionate, and kind individuals working together to build a world-class business. We take the time to develop personal relationships with each other. Over and above daily team lunches, we do frequent team outings and ad-hoc adventures (when global pandemics permit!).
We create and enable an environment for people to do their best work. To support this, we focus on a culture of autonomy, transparency and trust. As a startup, we care a lot about innovation, and believe in an iterative way of working to drive innovation forward. We encourage each other and foster a working culture of sharing early versions of our work and implementing feedback fast.
Why join us?
We have ambitious goals. Our mission is to power innovators in insurance, globally, and we’re well on our way there. You’ll join at a very exciting part of the journey, and your contribution over the next few years will directly and visibly impact Root’s global success. Our team is incredibly friendly and collaborative. If you care about solving challenging problems with people you enjoy being around, this is the place for you.
Root has an inclusive culture. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and introduce their skill set to us. Open positions at Root are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.