Staff Software Engineer - Reliability/Infrastructure
We are looking for an experienced Staff Site Reliability Engineer to join our growing Reliability Engineering team. We are responsible for design and implementation of the secure cloud infrastructure powering Paxos’ work to transform the financial industry. We also drive engineering productivity with standardized patterns across product lines, and work to build self-service tooling to make getting things done easy.
Engineers joining our team will be able to work with modern platforms and will focus on enabling our partner teams to build without thinking about infrastructure. We use AWS and infrastructure as code, and we’ve adopted cloud native technologies like Kubernetes, Istio, and ArgoCD to help us scale. You will work closely with product engineering to deploy and support novel solutions to hard problems where security, high availability, and low latency is critical.
Paxos is on a mission to enable the movement of any asset, any time, in a trustworthy way. Today’s financial infrastructure is archaic, expensive, inefficient and risky - supporting a system that leaves out more people than it lets in. So we’re rebuilding it.
As a regulated blockchain infrastructure company, we use technology to tokenize, custody, trade, and settle assets for enterprise clients like PayPal, Bank of America, and Interactive Brokers. Paxos is a top-funded blockchain company, with more than $500 million in total funding from leading investors like OakHC/FT, Founders Fund, PayPal Ventures, and Declaration Partners. Together, we empower today’s financial leaders to build a more open, trusted economy.
As a Staff Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll get to:
- In coordination with senior and staff+ engineers, build and champion a long-term tech roadmap to improve reliability, ensure scalability, reduce risk, and push the organization towards step-changes in operational sustainability.
- Scale our core infrastructure, enabling our business to continue rapid growth.
- Enable observability into our environment and applications that help us understand performance and self-heal in the case of failure using Prometheus, Grafana, and more.
- Own infrastructure projects end-to-end that span multiple disciplines and teams.
- Make the right trade-off between reliability and product feature speed – leveraging SLAs and SLOs to drive decision making around velocity.
- Automate away problems and provide self service tools to developers, increasing our ability to deploy reliability and safely.
- Take an active role in the team through design and code review, as well as mentoring junior engineers and sharing your knowledge.
- Immerse yourself in blockchain technology, cryptocurrency for enterprises and investors, our regulation-first approach, and more!
Your experience should include:
- 8+ years of software development experience, including at least one of the following: Golang, Kotlin, Rust, Java, C++.
- Significant work experience as a Software Engineer or Site Reliability Engineer.
- Strong experience working with at least one major cloud platform (AWS preferred) as well as with containers (Kubernetes), and Infrastructure as Code (Terraform).
- Familiarity with common infrastructure tools like Argo, Istio, Docker, Configuration management is a strong plus.
- At least 3+ years of technical leadership on SRE / SWE teams focused on infrastructure, reliability, and/or software engineering at scale.
- You have worked with distributed systems, cloud native applications and system design
- Strong communication skills with the ability to articulate and drive design decision with partners and stakeholders
- Experience working with a product and infrastructure that has end users at scale
- While we don’t require a degree, formal schooling in engineering is a nice-to-have
You might also have:
- A strong foundation in infrastructure fundamentals, including knowledge of networking, operating systems, and distributed systems.
- Solid understanding of concepts like load balancing, HA/failover, ingress, inter-service communications in a microservices style cluster, idempotence, ACID, guaranteed delivery, etc.
- Eager to work openly and collaboratively with a diverse multi-disciplinary team, collaborating effectively with stakeholders
- Desire to learn new technologies, innovate and discover better ways to solve engineering challenges of high performance trading systems and APIs, including performance tuning, latency optimizations and constant new development of APIs
What you’ll love about Paxos:
Paxos has consistently been recognized on the Forbes Fintech 50, CB Insights Blockchain 50 and Built In’s “Best Places to Work” lists. Paxonians have significant ownership and impact on our business, as well as benefits like company equity, health insurance, family leave, a quarterly stipend for development, a stipend for home office setup and unlimited PTO. From team product demos and virtual lounge and learns to care packages and an active Slack #shoutouts channel, there are countless opportunities to connect and make your mark. Help us continue to build a new, open financial system from one of our three offices or right from your home!
- Web 3.0 Is Still the Place to Be
- A Conversation with Paxos Product Leaders
- Paxos Raises $300M in Series D Funding at 2.4B Valuation
- Paxos & PayPal Bring Crypto to Millions of Users
- Mercado Libre Reaches 1M+ Users in 60 Days With Paxos
- Paxos Was Built to Protect its Customers
- CNBC Crypto World Interviews Paxos CEO on USDP stablecoin
- Paxos CEO Charles Cascarilla’s Perspectives on the Current State of the Global Economy
- Yahoo Finance Interviews Paxos CEO on Testimony to U.S. Congress and Stablecoin Infrastructure
Our Paxos team is made up of passionate people from all over the world with different perspectives and experiences. If this opportunity excites you, but your experience doesn’t perfectly match the description…apply! Unique voices help us build a more transparent and open economy!
Paxos offers a competitive total compensation and benefits package, including equity. Actual salary within that range is dependent upon the individual’s skills, experience and qualifications.