Senior People Partner
💙 Our Mission
📌 We are on a mission to increase economic opportunity for Africans globally.
Why does our mission matter?
There are over 1.3 billion Africans in the world. Africa is the most expensive place to send money to and trade with.
Talent is everywhere but opportunity isn’t. How do we bridge this divide with a sense of purpose?
- Think about people living far away from their loved ones who are financially responsible and support them. Imagine how you would feel losing 8-9% of your money through fees. How do we reduce the cost of sending money home through technology?
- What about the future of work? Think about those young TikTok influencers in Uganda who make amazing content, but can’t get paid because they don’t have Visa or Mastercards yet have mobile money?
- What about the future for businesses? Think about those who are trying to do cross-border business from Africa outbound to the rest of the world? Why is it so hard to trade today? Why do people have to send money with other people physically or cash on planes? How much money and time is lost while doing this?
- What about the reliability of trade? When payments are delayed, that means business is disrupted. This costs everyone money. It loses us trust with customers.
NALA’s true impact will be measured by the opportunities we create for Africa to trade with the world and the world to trade with Africa.
🙌 Your mission
As the Senior People Partner your work will align to the People team’s mission which is to care for the company, build a high performance culture and attract the best talent.
🎯 Your responsibilities in this role
- Take ownership of the People Operations and Experience, treating it like a dynamic product, specifically focusing on our East African staff but also aligning to our Global vision and ethos.
- Collaborate effectively with the global People and Finance teams and Managers and Leaders to establish and manage processes, implement feedback loops, and continuously iterate and enhance the overall experience.
- Oversee employee relations, offering expert support and recommending appropriate actions to address queries or issues. Proactively analyze data to identify employee relations trends, proposing solutions and providing coaching to Managers for early intervention.
- Independently drive key projects outlined in the People team Roadmap using agile methodology (we use scrum methodology and Monday.com)
- Serve as the primary expert on Kenyan employment law, contracts, and regulations.
- Utilize data, metrics, and internal/external trends to offer leaders insights that guide business decisions, shape organizational structure, and inform targeted initiatives.
🔥 Must have job requirements
- 7+ years of generalist HR experience within high-growth and fast-paced tech organization.
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills and strong organizational skills, detail orientation, and an ability to priorities tasks effectively.
- Process-oriented, not afraid to challenge existing processes and build new ones.
- Deep expertise of employee relations and case management, including knowledge of Kenyan employment laws and regulations.
- Trustworthy, with a high-level of personal integrity and experience handling sensitive information
💪 Nice to have job requirements
- Expert Excel/Google Sheets skills, with high level knowledge of building charts and graphs, shortcuts, Pivot Tables, advanced formulas.
- Previous involvement in a startup, showcasing adaptability to dynamic environments.
🎤 Interview Process
You will need to first submit your application through our ATS Workable. We ask 3 questions alongside your CV. There is no need to submit a Cover Letter.
- Based on this job description, why are you interested in this role?
- Based on this job description, what makes you a great fit for this role?
- How will this job help you on your own professional journey?
If successful you will be selected for our interview process which has 4 stages:
- [30mins] Interview with the Talent Team
- In this stage we want to get to know you a bit more and follow up on your experience and motivations. The best preparation would be to really know why you applied for the role (i.e. your application questions)
- [1hour] Interview with the People Manager
- In this stage, we want to get to know you and your experience deeply and we will focus closely on your experience as detailed on your CV. The best preparation is to just know whats on your CV really well 👍
- [2x 30min Calls] Interview with People Manager and another senior team member
- The People Manager will go through a short exercise involve a fictitious task that could happen in the role.
- The senior team member will go through our company values and talk to you about your experience working in fast paced environments
- Leadership Interview(s)
- The final interview will involve speaking with the CEO, CTO and COO about your motivation for the role and will be a great opportunity to ask any questions you have about the business.
Due to the seniority and importance of this position, we will be also doing reference calls with your previous managers. We will share more information in the final stages of the interview process.
- 35 Days Off: Enjoy an amazing 35 days of holidays to unwind and explore.
- Birthday Leave: Celebrate your special day with a bonus day off to take off in that month
- Learning Budget: Fuel your growth with $1000 annually for learning and development.
- Enhanced Sick Pay: it’s important to take time to recover
- Enhanced Parental Leave: It’s the start of an amazing journey, take time to cherish priceless moments
- Medical Insurance: Comprehensive medical cover for you and the option to add your family
- Daily lunch: Free lunch served daily in our Nairobi office
- Free Coffee: Enjoy barista-style coffee at your fingertips.
- Company Offsites: Join us in our Nairobi office or further afield to meet the whole team
- Monthly Socials: Join fun social events every month for great times