Luno is the crypto investment app you can rely on, enabling you to buy, store and explore crypto securely. We’re committed to putting the power of cryptocurrency in everyone's hands sensibly and responsibly.
Since 2013, we’ve helped millions of people around the world invest safely in crypto. We do this by cutting through the hype and supporting customers at every step of the way. All products and cryptocurrencies on our platform must first meet stringent legal, risk and technical security standards. We don’t do memecoins.
Transparency is key for us. Luno stores all crypto on a 1:1 basis and we have rigorous processes in place so you can be confident your investment is secure. We’re available in more than 40 countries around the world and we work closely with respective regulators in all of these markets to be fully compliant, as we believe this is the best way to help everyone, everywhere, invest safely.
About the team:
Our engineering team is split into organisations which we call Fleets. Each Fleet focuses on a core customer journey (onboarding, security, payments, support, new business, growth, and marketing, etc). Each of these fleets contains multiple smaller teams called Pods, each of which focuses on a specific aspect of the product.
Pods will include a product owner, product designer, back-end engineers, Android, iOS, and Web developers, who each bring a unique perspective to the problem you are all contributing towards. We're agile, use scrum, continuous integration and continuous delivery, deploying to production every single day.
The role in a nutshell:
We’re entering our next phase of growth on our mission to bring crypto to the global mass consumer market. That means we know that we have big, complex (and exciting!) architectural challenges ahead of us, so we need you to work directly with other architects, engineering management, engineers, Security, Product, and wider to help us navigate the best possible path for our customers and our business.
We’re looking for someone that is in touch with the technology, can still read (and maybe write!) code, that knows the difference between Kafka, Kubernetes, Kotlin, and Queuing, and can find their way around large distributed microservice platforms, ensuring 100ms P99 latencies, event-driven architecture, big data analytics, and large online application data tables. If that sounds like you, and you have architected systems at a consumer-facing internet scale before, we want to speak to you.
Your mission will be:
- Contributing to our evolving systems and software architecture strategy
- Helping foster collaboration across fleets and pods, and promoting conversation, in the aid of making better technology decisions
- Articulating, designing and assisting with the implementation of architectural patterns across pods and fleets to promote reusability, unbeatable reliability, scale and performance for our customers
- Identifying problems that can be solved with off-the-shelf solutions rather than writing code
- Influencing engineers and other team members to think bigger about solutions, and to consider the non-functional requirements that go with writing code
- Carefully planning how we implement changes in our stack without negatively impacting our customers
- Ensuring that appropriate governance and oversight is followed for key architecture and design decisions, upholding our standards, while complementing our agile ways of working
- Challenging our Engineering teams and leaders to consider different approaches, technologies, or paradigms where they will give us a competitive advantage
- Championing and designing for compliance, security, and data protection
- Documenting and diagramming our solutions, and building up our documentation base around decisions we have taken.
- Being a contributor to our long term Engineering Strategy.
A little about you:
- Experience architecting consumer-facing, highly scalable software systems
- Experience in designing systems in regulated markets
- Experience writing code, designing, and delivering software systems
- Experience with microservice architecture and 12 factor applications
- An understanding that introducing good decision making and lightweight processes helps not only with governance but also with great system design
- An understanding of Cloud Platforms, ideally AWS
- Specific architectural knowledge of backend & mobile related technologies
- A capacity to both act as a servant leader and to lead from the front
- A passion for software development, mobile technology and Bitcoin
Don’t be put off if you don’t tick all of the boxes – they’re a guide based on what we’d love to see but we appreciate that excellent software engineers have diverse backgrounds.
Life at Luno:
- Forward-thinking and ambitious team that values diversity, hard work, and the continuous quest for excellence.
- Remote but reachable work policy gives you the freedom to choose between working from home or the office.
- Improve body and mind, with excellent private medical insurance.
- Access to Learnably and our additional learning platforms for your personal and professional development.
- Generous maternity / paternity and even paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Annual Inspiration Day in addition to your annual leave which increases based on your length of service! Plus the option to buy and sell leave.
- A collaborative, friendly work community, with regular social events and virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts.
- Free lunch and snacks.
- 0 fees with Luno from the day you start.*
*Offer only available on Luno Instant Buy, not Luno Exchange
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.