Senior Software Engineer (Backend) - Metaverse
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2024
At Improbable, we’ve been venturing into unexplored territory for over a decade, seeking new ways to connect people and amplify their lives. We’re shaping virtual worlds of unprecedented scale for the gaming, web3, and related sectors, creating world-changing technology from Morpheus to M2. With us, you’ll tackle questions that no one else is asking and find answers that define the future.
We’re leading the way in defining what the metaverse can be. This is where you get to explore interconnected, immersive, exciting worlds that have never been seen before and where you decide what the future looks like. Are you ready?
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Web Platform team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining production systems so that Metaverse projects can scale operationally. You will deliver systems, APIs, infrastructure components, alerting and reporting solutions. Your role will help empower content creators, whether they're studios, customers, or users, by giving them ownership and control over their virtual spaces.
- Design, build, and maintain distributed cloud infrastructure services in production
- Independently scope and lead technical initiatives, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to evolve iteratively
- Contribute to the product roadmap, help set the vision and strategy for the team, act as a sounding board for team leadership
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps
- Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Contribute to team strategy, tooling and processes
- Mentor and coach other engineers
Why You're Made for This:
- Professional experience maintaining production services
- Experience with any popular cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Proficient in some modern programming languages like TypeScript, Python, Go, etc.
- Professional experience with infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform, Salt, and container orchestration technologies
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Experience reviewing code to maintain a high standard of code quality across the team
- A self-starter mindset, capable of context-switching between various projects, codebases, and concepts
- A prototype and rapid iteration mentality, using pragmatic delivery methods to have a fast impact and quickly identify the best solution for a problem
- Able to create tutorials, guides, or other important documentation for more junior engineers
This role is available as remote, hybrid or in-office. We have a great office space in Spitalfields in London but are equally happy if you'd prefer to work from home some, or all of the time. We are 'Flexa' certified, meaning our entire employee experience is anchored around flexibility and autonomy.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
If you require any reasonable adjustments as part of your application process or would like to confidentially discuss the matter, then please do let us know in the Additional Information section of your application.