Principal Backend Engineer - Enterprise Insights
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2023
At Improbable, we want to help businesses navigate the increasingly more complex and intertwined world. Enterprise metaverses break down the organisational and technical siloes that have meant digital twins have not been fully exploitable by the broader business. They empower entire companies to continually optimise and prepare for the future by providing a digital representation that can be visualised, analysed, explored, and experimented upon. We use enterprise metaverses to empower businesses to explore future scenarios and respond to change and disruption more effectively using digital twins and enterprise metaverses.
Enterprise Insights is a newly formed business unit of 30+ people within Improbable, and with it, there are lots of interesting engineering problems to solve. We are looking for a principal engineer to work within our solution team in developing capabilities allowing our customers to utilise our advanced simulation technology. You will be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfillment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
Your opportunity :
- We are a new unit in start-up mode and have a lot of foundations to put in place - you will be a key player in shaping the future of both your team and the wider Engineering organisation.
- Lead and shape the future of our software teams consisting of frontend/backend/full-stack engineers, working closely with our Product, modeling and DevOps teams.
- Drive out technical direction in the solution space - we have a strong technical foundation, but we are always looking to innovate further
- Mentor and grow the team - with a strong focus on our talented junior engineers.
- Handle interdependencies with our other teams and allow us to evolve both our organisation and our architecture to minimise those wherever possible.
- Effectively balance the creative exploration of a consumer-facing experience with the need to maintain our delivery commitments.
- Work with Engineers who are using Golang, Node.js, and Python
Why you're made for this :
- You thrive on the inherent ambiguity of an early-stage business and you can navigate the frequent changes and see the opportunity of learning and adapting our technology as we go along.
- You’re passionate about technology and how it can help deliver a great product. We use mainly Python, Go, and Typescript as our core technologies and expect all our engineers to be proficient in those (or comfortable picking them up when required) but if you believe there are other tools for the job, you’ll be happy to suggest and convince your team and stakeholders to adopt those.
- You’re an established leader or are looking to step into a leadership role - you don’t want to stop being hands-on on but you also enjoy other activities (whether it’s pairing and teaching a more junior member or sitting with your product team to figure out where we’re heading in the next 3 months).
- You prioritise quick delivery: foundations are important and we’re all in when it comes to doing this right, especially when it has a lasting impact. However, the biggest risk to us is building the wrong stuff rather than building the stuff wrong. We prefer to ship quickly and learn quickly.
- You love working as part of a close-knit group. We’re a highly collaborative team and often work together to solve complex problems and learn new skills. You proactively reach out to the wider team when there’s a need for input and encourage others to do so as well.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
If you require any reasonable adjustments as part of your application process or would like to confidentially discuss the matter, then please do let us know in the Additional Information section of your application.