Lead Software Engineer - World Builder Team, Metaverse
Posted on Tuesday, October 3, 2023
Our metaverse group helps our partners realise their metaverse ambitions. The team’s expertise encompasses creative (concept and design), production (art and content), engineering (game development and Web3) and operations (dev and live).At Improbable, you’ll collaborate with some of the best in the industry. Together, you’ll create unique, tailored experiences that stretch the boundaries of what’s possible in digital spaces and virtual worlds – and help define what the metaverse can be.
Improbable is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Lead Engineer to head a small team of impactful and business critical engineers. You would lead the World Builder project, a development solution for metaverse projects which allows contributors to use Unreal Engine development workflows to author and upload game content for immediate use. These worlds built with World Builder by default have huge scale (~20k CCU), low latency and are immediately accessible using native clients and streaming solutions to everyone in the world on any device.
- Lead the development and maintenance of the World Builder editor and surrounding ecosystem, identifying areas for improvement and proposing innovative solutions.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to a small team of highly impactful engineers, fostering their growth and ensuring the successful execution of projects.
- Work closely with technical leads and project managers to define project scope, milestones, and deliverables.
- Improve the overall development process for World Builder users, ranging from individual creators to large third party companies with significant investments into creating high end experiences.
- Conduct code reviews, performance analysis, and debugging to maintain code quality and maintain high velocity.
- Lead the release of the World Builder project to the public, allowing anyone to create content and worlds in the metaverse.
Why You Were Made for This:
- You have the leadership experience to successfully lead and mentor a team of programmers.
- You have conducted one-to-ones, appraisals and performance reviews, as well as conducted interviews to expand your team.
- You are comfortable with a broad range of tech stacks, including Python scripts & YAML configuration for DevOps, TypeScript for API endpoints, and C++ for Unreal internals.
- Passionate about enabling other teams, proactively knowing what it means to use our product, independently making improvements without being asked, and pushing this passion onto less-exposed internal teams.
- You are adept at prioritising work across a diverse tech stack with many customers. You are comfortable doing risk analysis and collaborating with stakeholders.
- You have worked with GCP, AWS or other cloud providers and are familiar with writing applications within such environments.
- New tech stacks and new technology are of great interest to you, and you’re keen to identify ways to increase your team’s impact and velocity.
- You want to create the future of online social experiences. We’re not focused on traditional games development lifecycles, but what game and social experiences can achieve going forwards.
This role is available as remote, hybrid or in-office. We have a great office space in Spitalfields in London but are equally happy if you'd prefer to work from home some, or all of the time. We are 'Flexa' certified, meaning our entire employee experience is anchored around flexibility and autonomy.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
If you require any reasonable adjustments as part of your application process or would like to confidentially discuss the matter, then please do let us know in the Additional Information section of your application.