Senior Software Engineer (Modelling) - Enterprise Insights
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2023
At Improbable, we want to help businesses navigate the increasingly more complex and intertwined world. Enterprise metaverses break down the organisational and technical siloes that have meant digital twins have not been fully exploitable by the broader business. They empower entire companies to continually optimise and prepare for the future by providing a digital representation that can be visualised, analysed, explored and experimented upon. We use enterprise metaverses to empower businesses to effectively explore future scenarios and respond to change and disruption more effectively using digital twins and enterprise metaverses.
Enterprise Insights is a newly formed business unit of 40+ people within Improbable. You will be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
We are seeking a Senior Model Engineer to join our friendly, relaxed and inclusive team. You’ll be developing and implementing models and simulations used in our digital twins. Our models typically encode real-life systems and behaviours, allowing users to analyse performance and test different scenarios. This role is open to candidates from a wide range of technical backgrounds who have a passion for problem-solving and a desire to work in a collaborative and supportive environment. You'll have the chance to work alongside a multidisciplinary team of scientists, modellers, and software engineers who collaborate closely with our product owners and customers to take modelling to the next level.
- Developing and implementing algorithms which result in plausible modelling behaviour
- Productionising prototype models developed by our applied scientists
- Building pipelines to extract, synthesise and integrate data from various sources, making it available to simulation engines and user interfaces
- Building tooling that enables model developers to do their work quicker and better
- Profiling and improving the performance of models so that we can reach new levels of speed and scale
- Working cross-functionally across the Enterprise Insights team to support adjacent projects where required
Why you're made for this
- A strong scientific and engineering mindset, software engineering experience, and a desire to resolve complex technical problems and systems-level requirements
- Prior experience applying model and data engineering to solve customer problems
- Experience with mathematical modelling paradigms (e.g. systems dynamics, event-based modelling, agent-based modelling) and associated simulation tools
- Skilled in Python including the more advanced features of the language and software engineering design patterns
- Professional experience with tools and libraries for modelling, data analysis and scientific computing (e.g. NumPy, Pandas, SciPy)
- Naturally pragmatic, balancing fast-moving project requirements with quality and good practices
- Ability to think holistically about every aspect of software development, including testing, documentation, security and performance
- Track record of sharing knowledge with and learning from others, and actively mentoring colleagues to improve their skills.
This role is available as remote, hybrid or in-office. We have a great office space in Spitalfields in London but are equally happy if you'd prefer to work from home, some or all of the time. We are 'Flexa' certified, meaning our entire employee experience is anchored around flexibility and autonomy.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply.
Improbable is determined to foster an environment where people can do their best work and feel like they belong. We believe a healthy culture, strong values and contribution from a diverse range of individuals will help us to achieve success.
We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.