Senior Policy Advisor (Markets Regulation)
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Members of our team actively engage regulators and standard setting bodies around the world to support the development of regulatory frameworks for digital assets. For this role we are looking for someone who has worked with, or at, a market regulator or self regulatory organization on issues related to the order flow, custody, and clearing mechanics associated with equities trading. The successful candidate will be able to work effectively with regulatory authorities on adapting best execution and settlement rules expected on securities exchanges for crypto trading, at both centralized/custodial exchanges (CEXs) and decentralized/non-custodial exchanges (DEXs). This requires having or developing an expertise in custody and clearing practices as it relates to the transfer and recording of assets on blockchains.
We work closely with internal product, legal, and compliance teams to develop policy positions that can lead to sensible and workable regulatory frameworks for digital assets that move on open networks. Success in this position requires an ability to effectively educate government officials and members/staff of regulatory bodies with an aim to close the gap between the rules designed for traditional financial systems and those needed for the next generation financial markets centered on blockchain technologies.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Monitor and brief senior leaders on emerging regulatory developments in TradFi and CeFi
- Work with internal teams to establish Coinbase positions on active policy issues
- Draft policy analyses, white papers, and regulatory consultation responses
- Lead external engagements with regulators, trade organizations, standard setters, and think tanks
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor’s (or non-US equivalent) + advanced degree in law, economics, finance, or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of 7+ years experience
- A solid understanding of financial market regulation in the U.S. and globally
- Strong interest in block chain technology and digital asset policy
- Direct experience working with or for regulators on public consultations related to financial market intermediaries such as exchanges, broker-dealers, custodians and clearing agencies
- Strong skills in organizing and presenting succinct analyses of complicated regulatory matters to executive level audiences and senior government officials
- Experience managing cross-functional teams, including internal subject matter experts (e.g., analysts, attorneys, and economists) as well as external counsel and consultants
Nice to haves:
- Direct experience working on digital asset projects from either an operational or legal perspective.
Job ID: P53620
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.