Staff Engineer - RTB
We seek an experienced Staff Engineer for our real-time bidding (RTB) team. RTB is the infrastructure responsible for our real-time bidding system by executing our advertising campaigns by responding to real-time auctions, tracking the resulting wins and event fires, and producing the canonical history of delivered ads.
To give you an idea of what we're working on, we deal with a massive scale of data and currently undertaking millions of requests a second. To use it, we need the ability to move it around, aggregate, maintain, and turn it into usable information that powers our platform. We’re at the edge of technology, and our engineers push the limits of what’s possible with the best technologies. As a Staff Engineer, you’ll work on various projects based on the intersection of your affinities, abilities, and development goals.
Our stack lives in the warm embrace of GCP. Our engineers are language agnostic, but core technologies for our backend include Golang, gRPC, BigQuery, Postgres, Airflow, Bigtable, Docker, Spanner, Firebase, Kubernetes, and Terraform.
What you’ll do:
- Driving design and architecture discussions and building alignment on complex technical decisions
- Designing, coding, testing, and releasing high-quality software for feature specs and architectural improvements. Running and measuring live experiments to vet hypotheses.
- Supporting on-call assignments and operational management of the software fleet
- Performing design and code reviews,
- Mentoring junior engineers, supporting hiring and evaluation of candidates.
- Writing technical documents to influence decisions at the executive level.
Who you are:
- 10+ years of experience in building internet-scale robust backend systems with millions of requests/queries per second (QPS)
- Architecture and design trade-offs in building large-scale systems that offer high reliability, high availability, low latency, and elastic scalability
- Big data systems that can process and transform data at petabytes scale. Familiar with messaging systems, batch processing, serverless and streaming technologies
- Handling database design and considerations for data at scale for transaction management, reporting, and analytics
- Designing and implementing critical parts of complex systems and evolved into a strong crafts person in utilizing best-of-breed algorithms, design patterns, and system design skills
- Handling operational excellence aspects of large-scale systems focusing on observability, tech debt management, code refactoring, and robust software development and release processes.
- Cloud-based software development and familiarity with top-line open-source technology choices
- Articulating technically complex topics in an easy-to-understand way via written and verbal communication methods
- Bonus points if you are an expert with specific technologies in our stack and/or have experience architecting petabyte-scale data pipelines, consumer-grade APIs, or high-performance distributed systems.
The approximate compensation range for this role is $230,000-$285,000. The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be determined by several factors, including the applicant's experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity among our team.
Madhive is a dynamic, diverse, innovative, and friendly place to work. We embrace our differences and believe they fuel our creativity. We come from varied backgrounds and think that’s important. But whether it’s taking ideas from previous lives and applying them in different ways or creating something completely new, we are all trail-blazing team players who think big and want to make an impact.
Here are just some of the many benefits of becoming a Madhive employee:
Health, Dental & Vision Insurance: Your health is number 1, so we offer 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance starting on day 1 for yourself and any dependents.
Family Forming Benefits: Madhive offers inclusive fertility and family-forming benefits that cover all paths to parenthood — whether it is adoption, surrogacy, fertility treatments, pregnancy, or anything related through a partnership with Carrot Fertility. The benefit includes free access to Carrot membership services and employer-sponsored funds of up to $10,000 to help pay for your care.
401(K) Matching: Madhive's generous 401(K) plan offers a contribution equal to 100% of eligible employee contributions up to 5% annually. There is no vesting period, and all full-time employees can participate immediately upon their hire date.
Unlimited Vacation: We offer Unlimited PTO plus additional paid company holidays.
Parental Leave: We believe that family comes first, so we provide parental leave to all new parents.
Food All Day: Fully stocked refrigerator and lunch are provided every day that you're in the office!